Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Socal Trip and Mark's Tahoe Rim Race Report

This last week I was able to get down to Southern California for my sister-in law’s wedding. While there I was able to run on a couple of trails. The first was Zuma Ridge Loop. The trail head is located in a neighborhood, just off of Hwy 1. We only ran four miles, but that was plenty for me that day. It was extremely hot and the trail had very little tree cover. It was sandy in parts and had some very steep climbs. The consolation was the view from on top of the ridge. It was an awesome view of the Pacific Ocean. The problem was my knee was bugging me throughout the run. Once I recover I intend to return to this trail and complete the 10 mile loop.

The next day we ran to the top of “Space Mountain” which is located in the Santa Monica Mountains, in Thousand Oaks, CA. It was again an easy 4-5 miler with a nice climb. After the run I definitely could feel my knee aching. It was a fun run, but I need to be able to start running four plus miles without pain in my knee. So my plan now is to take some serious time off. I’m going to try and mountain bike and aqua run to keep as much fitness as possible. I’m also going to continue a core strength/foam roller/stretching routine.






Now to my buddy Mark’s race report from Tahoe Rim. Unfortunately he was pulled from the race by the mile 50 aid station captain, after running 52 miles. How you ask? Well he left the aid station at 50 miles, but then developed a couple of nasty blisters on the back of his heels. So Mark turned around and went back to the 50 mile aid station for help with them. The captain pulled Mark from the race for returning to the aid station and being injured. Note to self; never return to an aid station you have already left! Mark said it was a great race and extremely beautiful. He also said it was a very difficult race.

No comments:

Post a Comment